Mostly because it was HOT, HOT, HOT...like 100+ degrees HOT. The hot weather just seemed to sap all the energy out of me, so we basically did NOTHING all weekend, other than a few chores (inside the house!) and running a bunch of errands.
I am watching a friend's CCI pup and even he and Hope didn't seem to want to stay outside much. I took the pup with me on Saturday to lunch with a friend, but it was so hot out there, I ended up taking him home so I could run the rest of my other errands I needed to do.
This was the first time I actually spent a bunch of time in the pool this season. It was also a very sad reminder for me that this is the first summer without Molly in many years, I still miss that dog a lot. She just loved to swim and would swim forever if you kept throwing stuff for her to retrieve. I do have to admit though that it IS easier without her. She was impossible to swim with in the pool as she just wanted to be near you and it could be dangerous. Once, she made a nice set of scratches down my back trying to get close to me, not on purpose of course, ouch, that certainly hurt. She would also bark incessantly if I kept her in the dog run and wasn't letting her swim, so I always had to put her in the house or lock her in the garage while I was out by the pool. Oh, and the hair, I don't miss that hair, she shed so much it was actually pretty gross to go swimming after she had been in the pool, you could just see it floating everywhere, even underwater. It would take hours of filtering to remove all that hair. Of course, I'd sacrifice it all if I could have her back and see her doing what she enjoyed the most.
Hope was more than happy to take her place this weekend and was happy to get in the pool with me to chase her tennis ball. We just need to teach her how to dive in and not jump out of the pool every time she gets her ball (and take half the water with her). There was still a lot of hair in the pool, but not nearly as much as there used to be with Molly. Her CCI training certainly comes in handy too. Since I was in the pool, I could just tell her "get" to pick up her ball, have her come to me with a "here" command, and tell her "give" to give me the ball back so I could throw it again for her if she dropped the ball outside the pool where I couldn't reach it. I didn't even have to get out of the pool at all!
Sometimes its good just to be lazy....and that's what we were this weekend, LAZY...
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment