Thursday, April 9, 2009

A week full of field trips

Since I had Nick for an extended period of time the last couple of weeks, we went on a bunch of field trips/outings with some puppy raising friends.  Last Saturday, we were joined by CCI pups Gerrit and Idelle at a dog event in Rancho Cordova to work on dog distractions.  Gerrit's puppy raiser and I actually traded dogs for most of the event, another good opportunity for our dogs to be handled by another person.  Nick did very well with all the activity going on!

The other interesting thing was we got to see some different types of competitions (actually, they were "fun matches") involving obedience, rally, etc. I never knew what rally was so it was fun to watch. I actually think this kind of thing is more of the type of thing that Hope would like, she was never meant to be an agility dog even though I always enjoyed doing it with her and she seemed to have fun doing it.

Here's a picture of Idelle, Gerrit, and Nick on Saturday.... (photo courtesy of Gerrit's PR):


During the week, I took Nick on various errands after work: to the grocery store, to get my oil changed, post office, etc.  One evening, we met Nick's buddy Gerrit and his puppy raiser at Petsmart in Folsom.  Luckily, we picked a good night as they were having a puppy class, so there were lots of distractions as the dogs were walking around the store with their owners practicing their obedience.  Here's a picture of Nick practicing the "kennel" command in a fancy log doghouse. 
 
Nick's behavior out in public is great; he doesn't seem bothered by much, what a good boy!   

No comments: