Saturday, July 12, 2008

Just another day at the office

Yesterday, was just another day at the office for Hope.  She got to go to work with me as it was her day to "work".  Nick is with our co-raisers for a while.  I had two people who saw her, thought it was Nick, and said, "Wow, I can't believe how much Nick has grown."  And they had both just seen him a day before!  Oh well, I know they mean well and are just being nice, but come on! I always take Hope around to visit her "friends" at the office and they always say how calm she is. Haha, they just got used to Zucchini who was more animated and had a tail that didn't stop because now they are saying the same thing about Nick being so mellow.  Guess Zucchini certainly left an impression with them!  

We haven't gotten to do our hospital visits for a while as the last time I didn't have Nick, I was watching a another CCI pup so we didn't go that week.  Yesterday, we only visited two patients as one we usually visit was sleeping and the other one didn't want to visit (we have to knock on their door and ask first if they want a visit).  

I found out the young girl we often visit is only 21 years old (saw it on her wrist band).  She seems much younger to me, but then again with all her health issues, I guess you just never know. It's sad that she's going to spend the rest of her life in a hospital on a respirator.  She was asleep when we first knocked on her door, but I tapped her on her hand to see if she would wake up as she seems to enjoy visiting with Hope.  She barely opened her eyes, but actually nodded when I asked if she wanted to see Hope, that nod was a first for us! Hope is like another dog when she's at the hospital, so gentle, so happy with her tail wagging, so attentive to the patient.  It's like she's in the "zone".  Because the girl was positioned on one side of the bed, I was able to get Hope to get on her bed almost all the way and she was able to reach down and pet Hope. She isn't really able to pet her on her own, I actually take her hand and lift it to touch Hope. The visit was a really good one, we got a lot of expressions from her (lots of smiles, a few nods).  Because Hope was halfway on the bed, I put the girl's arm on Hope's leg and she got the biggest smile on her face when I asked her if she liked holding Hope's paw.

The other patient we visit is an older lady who actually has the ability to talk despite the respirator, so we always have a nice conversation.  She just loves the visits with the dogs.  Hope actually got on the bed with her as yesterday there was enough room to get her on.  I'm always very nervous about this as there are so many tubes and barely enough room so when she is getting up, I hold her collar pretty tight so I can quickly pull her off if something happens.  This lady didn't care if Hope was partly on her and she asked if Hope could get on the bed with her. Hope snuggled up to her, it was too cute.  It was a nice visit.

It's days like this when I realize how much I just adore having Hope back.  I never knew if she would like doing this work stuff, but you can just tell she loves it.  She gets excited as we are walking into the hospital and her tail wags when she is visiting.  I always give her a cookie after we get back in the car when we are done to let her know how good she is.  Yesterday I forgot and she just sat in the back of the car looking at me, when I realized I didn't give her a cookie, I got one out, gave it to her and she laid down on the seat.  Good girl Hope and thanks for the reminder!...

No comments: