Twelve years ago today, a litter of Golden Retriever puppies was born.
I was lucky enough to have one of those puppies add such joy to my life, a cute little fluffball who I named Molly. She was not perfect by any means with her alert barking, counter surfing, excitable greetings, etc. but she was my constant companion who always greeted me with her smiling face and typical golden personality. She enjoyed doing what I loved to do: going on long walks during the week, hiking on the weekends, hanging out at the lake, etc. or she was just happy chasing a tennis ball, over, and over, and over again.

When she was about four years old, I began puppy raising for CCI. Little did I know what a good assistant puppy raiser she would make to all the puppies that passed through this house. She was so good about teaching the puppies when they crossed the line. Her bark was always worse than her bite, and she certainly got her point across to them, no doubt about that.


A couple of years ago, while brushing her teeth, I found a lump on one of her gums. After surgery to remove the tooth where the lump was and to get the necessary tissue to do a biopsy, the results were inconclusive. No cancer cells were found, but from all other indications, it appeared to be cancer. Removing the tumor surgically would have involved removing a quarter of her jaw. I just couldn't do that to her as her quality of life was more important to me than extending her life. Instead I took a holistic approach and put her on herbal treatment and other supplements. True to her spirit, it was the right choice, she lasted just short of two years after I first found the lump and enjoyed a great quality of life until shortly before I let her go when the tumor simply grew so large that it was impacting her ability to breathe.
We had a great last day together, something that is still so vivid in my mind that it seems like just yesterday, only I know that it isn't. (http://pk-a-boo.blogspot.com/2007/12/bittersweet-day-with-molly.html) I still think of her often when doing something or seeing something suddenly brings back some memory I have of her.
Happy Birthday Molly where ever you are, I miss you as much today as that day I had to say goodbye, rest in peace my sweet girl...




No comments:
Post a Comment