
Hope and I joined another reading program called "Books & Barks" at Cambridge Heights Elementary School in Citrus Heights and today was our very first session. This program will work out well for us as it runs from 8am-3pm once a month. We can schedule our visit for a block of time that fits our schedule, so its perfect for us working stiffs who still have day jobs to do. Hope's buddy, Mason, and his handler were there at the same time that we were there.
Hope had 6 students from 2nd grade to 5th grade read to her today. Each student read to her for about 20 minutes. I believe there were about nine dog/handler teams coming in today and about 60 students participating. The teacher who started this program is so enthusiastic and excited about this program...she originally started it as a program for those students who were struggling, but now because there are so many dog/handler teams participating, she is opening it up to other students who just want to read to the dogs if there is space available. How cool is that?
Hope really seems to enjoy these reading programs, so I'm glad I was able to find another one for us to do since the Roseville Library program one will not have their next session until next year. She really nuzzled up to a few of the kids, especially the ones who were petting her as they read to her. She spent half the time rolled over on her back getting a belly rub and doing her trademark snort. So cute! What a good girl! I also let each of the students give Hope a cookie after they were done, they seemed to like that.
The parents and teachers are very enthusiastic about this program. It was so nice, since the session goes on all day, they had a table of beverages/food set up for us so we could grab a bite to eat/drink in between students.
I could have stayed there all day and I'm sure Hope could have too. Too bad we had to go back to work! I wasn't sure how Hope would do for longer than an hour as that is the average time we visit at the hospital and did the other reading program, but I think I'm going to sign us up for a bigger block of time next month as she could have easily done another hour or so.
Til next month...

1 comment:
This is a wonderful thing you and Hope are doing.
Post a Comment