Saturday, April 26, 2008

Fate or "Fortune"

When I received the call about Hope's release, I was just about to go out of town to visit a friend in Oceanside for the weekend. I felt awful to leave her there longer, but I asked if CCI could keep her there until I got back from vacation. I just didn't want to bring her home for a few days, then leave her with someone else even if it was only a weekend. Thankfully, CCI didn't have a problem keeping her until the next week.

As disappointed as I was, I still managed to have a good time in Oceanside. My friend and I went out to lunch one of those days at a Chinese restaurant. Of course, as is customary in a Chinese restaurant, we were given a plate that contained two fortune cookies. My friend grabbed one of them and handed me the plate to take the second one. I couldn't believe it, this is what the fortune revealed...

The words on the front of the fortune said,
"Hope is the most precious treasure to a person."

On the back of the fortune was the following Learn Chinese lesson:
"Miss You", Xiang-nian ni, and the expression written in Chinese.

I got all teary-eyed, was this a sign telling me what I was supposed to do with Hope? It was totally fate that I received that fortune...my friend could have easily gotten "my" fortune cookie but she picked up the other cookie from the plate...that fortune was meant to be mine that day. Can you hear that Twilight Zone music in your head? ;-)

The fortune lives on my refrigerator as a reminder of how fortunate I am to have Hope back in my life...

No comments: